Blog: Digital Marketing
Email Marketing: An Easy Guide to Content That Sells
Are you using email to keep in touch with your customers and leads? Direct marketing using email is one of the best ways to communicate directly with your target market. Email marketing also gives you an easy way to track and measure responses, so you can better customize your marketing content moving forward.
But what do you need to know to develop a strong, actionable email marketing piece? Read on, and learn how to put together a direct-mailer that will make an impact, and get the results you want.
- Make your subject line interesting, provocative, and benefit-oriented: Ask a pointed question, or make a leading statement to encourage them to open the mail
- Use a subhead that expands on the headline, and provides a natural segue into the body copy
- Keep your body copy short and smart; emails need to be crisp and digestible in order to be read, so resist the temptation to write a novel-length missive
- Highlight features and benefits with a bulleted list so that your customer can clearly see the value of your offering
- Close with a clear call to action (CTA); make sure your reader knows exactly what you want them to do (call, email, register, etc.)
- Make sure that any imagery you use directly supports the message in your subject line
- Limit your email to one or two type fonts; one for headlines and another for body copy is plenty
- Color is great, but make sure it’s eye-catching, not overwhelming--no more than 2 or 3 per email
- Your company name, logo, and contact information should be bold and easy to locate with a quick scan of the email—the most important thing is that the know how to reach you
If your CTA is asking readers to contact your company directly, make sure that all staff handling responses are trained, and have the information they need in order to process inquiries smoothly. Also make sure that any email addresses that bounce back are immediately corrected, or removed from your database to make sure you have the cleanest, most current list possible.
New to email marketing and want to take advantage of this cost-effective way to promote your business? Contact us for a free consultation, and we will help you determine the type of direct-marketing that will meet your needs.
Need a new mobile-ready site ready for 2017?
Contact one of our friendly professionals to review your needs. We'll help you improve the quality of your mobile website right now and keep it running smoothly in the years to come.